Private Label Trade Names on American Pocket Watches: The Non-Magnetic Watch Company: Part 38: The Swiss Operation – The Tiffany Factory at Place Cornavin
The business operation of the Geneva Non-Magnetic Watch Company in Switzerland was more complex than most American watch factories. Production spanned several factories, with many different companies working together to manufacture the non-magnetic watches for the American market.
In January 1888, James Haswell visited the offices and factories managed by the company and published a summary in the March 1888 issue of The Horological Journal.
The complicated high-end watches sold by the Geneva Non-Magnetic Watch Company were manufactured in the factory previously occupied by Tiffany & Co. and Patek Philippe, a few blocks northwest of the company office at Mont-Blanc Square. According to Haswell, this factory was under the supervision of Louis Bornand.
This steam-powered factory was originally built in 1874 near the train depot at Place Cornavin to facilitate the production of premium watches for Tiffany & Co.
Some references indicate that movement blanks were acquired from Patek Philippe to manufacture the non-magnetic watches at this location. The majority of the swiss-design models sold by the Geneva Non-Magnetic Watch Company were also likely produced at this factory, while the other factories focused on movements designed in the American style.
Leave a Comment