Charles-Auguste Paillard originally developed palladium alloys for use in fine marine chronometers due to the non-corrosive properties of the alloy. Despite Paillard’s palladium balance spring being introduced to the trade in 1879, broader commercialization did not occur for several years.
In July 1883, the first advertisements for Paillard’s palladium balance spring began appearing in issues of The Horological Journal. The hairsprings were described as “inoxidable” and “non-magnetic,” indicating that the non-magnetic properties of the palladium alloy had been established as a desirable feature.
R. Haswell and Sons were the active sales agent advertising Paillard’s balance springs in The Horological Journal. The company was located in Clerkenwell, London – a lively hub for watchmaking and marine chronometer manufacturing at the time.
The prices were included in the advertisement for Paillard’s balance springs:
For Watches, 1st Quality
14 shillings per dozen
(Approximately $65 USD in today’s economy, ~$5.50 each)
For Watches, 2nd Quality
7 shillings per dozen
(Approximately $35 USD in today’s economy, ~$3 each)
For Marine Chronometers
13 shillings each
(Approximately $60 USD in today’s economy)