Under the Dial: Waltham Model 1857 Appleton, Tracy & Co.
This image exhibits the pillar plate jeweling on a Waltham Model 1857 Appleton, Tracy & Co. movement to contrast the 11-Jewel P.S. Bartlett that is only jeweled on the upper plate.
Inspecting under the dial reveals jewels on the 3rd wheel, 4th wheel, escape wheel, and pallet fork. During this era, a movement with jeweling in pairs on the entire train except the center wheel was considered to be “fully jeweled.”
This confirms that the movement features at least fifteen jewels:
- 2 Balance Hole Jewels (Upper/Lower)
- 2 Balance Cap Jewels (Upper/Lower)
- 1 Impulse (Roller) Jewel
- 2 Pallet Jewels
- 2 Upper Hole Jewel on the Pallet Fork
- 2 Upper Hole Jewel on the Escape Wheel
- 2 Upper Hole Jewel on the 4th Wheel
- 2 Upper Hole Jewel on the 3rd Wheel
What is a A.T. & Co. Grade ? I am looking at purchasing a Waltham, Appleton Tracey 18s, 15j, Model 1857 Watch, A.T. & Co.. I cannot find any info. on the A.T. & Co. Grade, can someone help please. Thanks !
Appleton, Tracy & Co.