Under the Dial: Waltham Model 1857 P.S. Bartlett
Yesterday, we evaluated the practice of applying faux jewel settings to the early eleven-jewel movements manufactured by the American watch companies to enhance the visual appeal.
While certain characteristics can be used as reasonable indicators, inspecting under the dial is the only conclusive method to verify the jewel count. This can be beneficial to corroborate information derived from factory serial lists or databases.
Inspecting under the dial of the Waltham Model 1857 P.S. Bartlett reveals the lack of jeweling on the lower train, as expected.
This confirms that the movement features eleven jewels:
- 2 Balance Hole Jewels (Upper/Lower)
- 2 Balance Cap Jewels (Upper/Lower)
- 1 Impulse (Roller) Jewel
- 2 Pallet Jewels
- 1 Upper Hole Jewel on the Pallet Fork
- 1 Upper Hole Jewel on the Escape Wheel
- 1 Upper Hole Jewel on the 4th Wheel
- 1 Upper Hole Jewel on the 3rd Wheel