In 1864, Aaron L Dennison and A.O. Bigelow organized the Tremont Watch Company in Boston, Massachusetts. The objective was to produce a “hybrid” movement, leveraging cheap manufacturing in Zurich, Switzerland for the train and escapement while manufacturing the remaining parts in America.
This brilliant arrangement quickly proved to be a success. However, while Dennison was overseeing the work abroad, there was a growing pressure amongst the investor group to move the entire manufacturing operation to the United States.
Despite Dennison’s opposition, in 1866, a new factory was established just north of Boston, in the community of Melrose. The location of this factory has not yet been discovered (all references contain notable errors). However, the original location of the Tremont Watch Company has been determined using original sources and maps.
Original directories confirm that the Tremont Watch Company at least maintained offices at the location in Boston. In the 1871 Brookline directory, company treasurer Edward S. Philbrick is listed with reference to the company location at “Washington, cor. West, B.).
The 1872 directory provides the exact address of the Tremont Watch Company: “12 West (factory as Melrose).”
12 West Street in Boston was the address where the first Tremont watches were assembled and shipped. Even after the manufacturing operation moved to Melrose, this location continued to be utilized for the Tremont office.
The 1867 Fire Insurance Map of Boston, Massachusetts identifies the building on the corner of Washington Street and West Street as a “Jewelry Factory.”
Interestingly, this area was just spared during the Boston fire of 1872. The map below shows the burned district stopping a block shy of where the Tremont Watch Company was located.
This 1879 City Map of Boston, created well after the Tremont Watch Company failed, shows the detail of the building that likely once housed the innovative company.
Today, the original buildings are a blip on the historical map, lost to time.